Monday, March 24, 2008

White Easter!

Easter was especially unusual this year. First it came so early. We had an irritating 10 - 12 inches of snow on Good Friday. Ken and Julie were working so I had to go out and shovel (or snow scoop) our driveway by myself. I was afraid they would get stuck if I didn't. There were drifts over a foot deep in spots. It took me an hour and a half to get it all done. I am really thankful for that scoop as it is a heck of a lot easier than a shovel. Raven was completely covered in the white stuff when it was time to come in. Sunday when I left for church at 8:15 am it was 11 degrees out. So this was probably the snowiest and coldest Easter I can remember (even when we lived up north where snow is common through April). Easter took on a different feel to me this year. I missed the services at church (had to teach both hours). There were no Easter baskets or eggs to dye for anyone this year. We bought a few of our favorite chocolates. We didn't have company so I decided not to cook. We joined the crowd at the college for their Easter brunch. Julie complained the whole time saying their wasn't anything she felt like eating. They had a whole variety from waffles, omelets, salad, spaghetti, pizza, burgers & fries, ham, roast beef and all the trimmings and she couldn't find anything to eat!? We tried to visit with Grandma but found her sleeping in bed so we quietly left. So we laid around the rest of the day and watched movies and TV.
The best part of the weekend was helping my sister Cathy reconcile with her son David. She hadn't talked to him in about 14 years. She found out she is a grandma of a 6 month old baby boy named Landon Patrick. I called David's dad first to get David's number and asked if it was okay to call him. David was very open to talking with his mom. They talked for over an hour Saturday night and again yesterday. I hope this will be the beginning of a renewed relationship for them. I'm going to try and get them together for Cathy's 50th birthday this May.

1 comment:

julie said...

You forget that I don't eat ham, roast beef, or burgers and I had breakfast food the past 2 days and so was tired of it. I didn't want to have pizza for Easter and so I was left with spaghetti and salad. woohoo.